Saturday, March 10, 2012

Easter Cupcakes


I had an interesting idea that Easter is a very chocolate filled holiday. So what better to represent our favourite bunny treats but to have the most chocolate-y filled cupcake I could manage! I requested a few ideas through facebook, which I did receive one or two, but I had stuck in my head, chocolate Marshmallow cupcake.

So after 3 hours of trial, error, taste testing and my husbands critique, we formed the perfect formula for the cupcake. We ended up stuffing about 3 Jiffy Royale marshmallows into the centre of a chocolate chip, chocolate cupcake. Then to finish, I did really want to use a chocolate icing as I had pictured in my head vibrant purples, pinks & aqua icing to match in with the speckled m&m eggs which garnished the top of the cupcake. So I did Cotton Candy icing, which really complemented the chocolate. So following, are the step by step images of what I created. Followed by my own personal recipe.









Chocolate Chip,Choc Marshmallow, Chocolate cupcake recipe



Prep time:- 15 mins; Baking time:- 18mins

Makes approx 18 cupcakes

225g (8 oz) softened butter
225g (8 oz) caster/granulated sugar
Vanilla extract - approx 1 tbsp
4 eggs
225g (8 oz) Self Raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2-4 tbsp cocoa powder (depending how chocolaty you want them)
100g chocolate chips
54 chocolate marshmallows (I used the Kraft Jet-Puffed Chocolate Royale's)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees celcius), and place 18 baking papers in cupcake pans.
Using a mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy and no sugar granules are visibly left.
Add vanilla and then one egg at a time until well mixed. You will notice the batter will appear to be "split". Don’t worry, it will work out, trust me. Remember to constantly stop the mixer and scrape the sides as often as required.
In a separate bowl sift flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together. You can do this a number of times. The more times you do it, the fluffier the cake will be. (This is my secret people!!!!)
Now add to the wet mix slowly on a low speed. Scrape edges and beat for around 2 mins until smooth and pale.
At this stage I sometimes add about 1/4 cup of sour cream and some melted chocolate to make it more chocolate-y and moister. But this is up to you, it’s not necessary.
Finally, add the chocolate chips (these are also optional.)

Spoon or pipe mixture into cupcake papers - I fill it about half way. Place in oven for 8 mins.
Pull out and then push one marshmallow into each cupcake. Be sure to make this step as quick as possible as you don’t want to ruin the raising agents that are active in the cupcake. Place back in oven for a further 8mins. Remove and once again, place another marshmallow in the centre where you had put the last marshmallow (It would of created a bit of a crater in the cupcake). Place in oven for a further 1-2 mins to melt the marshmallow.
Finally, pull cupcakes out of oven and let cool in cupcake pans for 5 mins. Transfer to wire rack to cool. After 10 mins of cooling, I added another marshmallow to the cupcake and microwave for 20sec. What you end up with is visibly evident. You get the original marshmallow cooked into the cake, the second melts right down and the final, just seals the cake. Please note, cooking times may vary based on your own oven, so make sure you keep an eye on the cakes, and dont let them burn. You can adjust the times as you see fit.
Once completely cool they are ready to be iced. You can do anything with these - a simple chocolate butter cream icing might be nice. Or even a marshmallow frosting. Let your imagination take control and lead the way!

Enjoy!

Please let me know how you go with this recipe, as its the first one I have shared. I'd like to know how you have gone with it and if I can tweak the recipe instructions any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment